384 Main St. (rte 10)
Easthampton, MA 01027
South Towne Commons
479 West Street (rte 116)
Amherst, MA 01002
Private Lessons, Duets and Yoga Therapy
Jayan (Joshua) Schumer, Certified Yoga Therapist
Call or text any time to get more information and get started: 413-561-8718
The best yoga is always tailored to the individual. Classes can only take you so far. For getting started with yoga, or taking your practice to a new level, or recovering from an injury—there's nothing safer or more effective than one-on-one instruction with a qualified teacher.
Benefits of private sessions include:
- Efficiency—learn much more in much less time
- Get the exact information you are looking for
- You can ask as many questions as you want—no question is too "silly" or complicated
- Everything is 100% customized and centered on your needs and goals
- Schedule sessions when it's convenient for YOU—no more trying to figure out how to get to a class
- Get help with a specific problem or issue
- Rest assured knowing that everything you are doing is safe and correct
- Get honest expert feedback
- Enjoy the undivided attention of an expert teacher
"We talked about my history, what I had already tried, and my pain issues. Then we started out doing basic exercises and it built up from there. It was like working with a physical therapist. I never have felt like anyone was really watching and able to understand what was going on in my body the way (Josh) did." --Stephanie Osman
"The experience was comfortable...(Josh) has a great personality, he is charismatic. His manner is very comfortable, he doesn’t judge, he just helps."—David Mastroianni
Who can benefit from private instruction with Jayan:
- Anyone who works long hours and finds getting to class inconvenient or impossible
- Mothers or anyone who takes care of other people
- Anyone who wants to jump-start for their yoga practice
- Advanced practitioners and yoga teachers--break through your "plateau"
- Beginners and novices
- Anyone who hasn't exercised in years
- Anyone who feels self-conscious in groups
- Anyone who is overweight—learn modifications and contraindications to practice safely in a group class
- Anyone who is experiencing musculoskeletal pain already assessed by a physician
- Anyone who has finished up with physical therapy and still hasn't gained 100% mobility
- Anyone who doesn't feel ready to go into a group class for any reason
- Anyone who is concerned about hurting themselves doing yoga
- Anyone with a disability
- Athletes, runners
- Dancers, former dancers
- Outdoor enthusiasts
- Anyone training for an athletic goal, event or competition
"I openly recommend lessons with Josh. Try it once and don’t contemplate, don’t wait, you’re just wasting time. I wondered “What else could he teach me that he’s not teaching me in the class?” He absolutely knows his stuff. He’s the real deal. He’s passionate about what he does and his knowledge is amazing." Nancy Carvalho
What you can do with your session(s):
- Get a 100% individualized yoga practice plan for home use
- Learn which modifications you should be using in classes
- Maximize your strength and flexibility
- Play on the yoga rope wall--develop awesome strength and flexibility
- Rehab a sore/weak area of your body
- Rebalance your muscles
- Supercharge your core
- Heal a "bad" back (or shoulder, or neck, or hip...)
- Strengthen weak muscles that are holding you back from your potential
- Open up a tight area of your body
- Unlock a particular pose that never feels right in class, or seems unachievable
- Have your breathing assessed and corrected
- Learn pranayama (yoga breath exercises) and meditation
- Design a program to prevent injury and enhance performance for an endurance activity like running or biking.
- Learn how to use bolsters, blocks straps and other props
- Learn new things to do with equipment you already have
- Prepare to go in to a group class
- Get an assessment of your current strength/mobility/alignment
- Find out how to work through/around an injury in class or at home
- Get motivated to practice
- Correct your personal alignment imbalances that are too detailed to address in class
- Work out with your sweetie, spouse or friend--do a duet!
Contact Josh to inquire about a private session. Call or text 413-561-8718 any time to get started.
"I've had chronic neck and shoulder pain since in my twenties. Yoga definitely helps but my shoulder is damaged so I’m always trying to find what’s is best to keep it as good as it can be. I need to exercise to keep it moving.
We talked about my history, what I had already tried, and my pain issues. Then we started out doing basic exercises and it built up from there. It was like working with a physical therapist.
When I went back and told him what I had been doing then he tailored a new set of exercises for me to keep working on.
My neck would get really tight and I would get migraine headaches frequently . Now that happens much less often. I will always have neck and shoulder issues but I feel like it is manageable and I know what not to do to keep it feeling good.
I felt like he was very specific in how he could come up with exercises for me. He made up a routine based on my problem. He watched me really carefully and addressed my issues. I never have felt like anyone was really watching and able to understand what was going on in my body the way he did.
Josh listens to your particular issue, he’s a good listener. He will try things but if they don’t work he’ll try something else.
(Josh) is...one of most knowledgeable yoga teachers as far as anatomy. He is approachable, listens well. He is very specific. His plan is very specific. I felt safe. He wasn’t going to have me do anything that would injure me."—Stephanie Osman
"I started taking yoga classes with Josh in 1999, have continued, and I get so much from his classes.
I had a back fusion in 1997, problems in my back, neck, etc. I’ve had private sessions (with Josh) several times and am amazed at how much I learned about MY body. He was so prepared. He was tuned in to what would help me. He was able to help me so easily, readily. His knowledge is unbelievable!
I was amazed that even though I had taken classes with him for years and years there was so much more I could learn in the one-on-one. He was so prepared. He had notes regarding ideas he had for me. His knowledge is unbelievable but he’s not boastful, he just wants to help people.
I am definitely stronger, I still have issues, but my body is so much stronger. I am doing more now than doctors ever thought I would be able to do. The exercises that he taught me in the one on one have helped me get so much stronger. He was able to hone in and he could target specific areas and I didn’t need multiple sessions, he gave me so much in each session.
The working knowledge of what I needed, of what was important for ME to target on certain things, to strengthen MY weaknesses. He was able to show me exactly how to do the exercises specifically for my body.
I met with him and he had already started the list of exercises for me. He was well prepared.
I openly recommend lessons with Josh. Try it once and don’t contemplate, don’t wait, you’re just wasting time. I wondered “What else could he teach me that he’s not teaching me in the class?” He absolutely knows his stuff. He’s the real deal. He’s passionate about what he does and his knowledge is amazing."—Nancy Carvalho
I had an injury to the rotator cuff of the left shoulder. It would get a little better, then it got worse. I found that yoga class was helping, but the shoulder was not really getting better.
(Since working one on one with Josh) I have noticed significant Improvement in strength, it is as strong as it needs to be. Still not perfect, at 95%, If I keep doing the exercise Josh gave me I’m confident it will continue to improve.
Still going to yoga classes and Josh gives me hints and direction during class specific to the healing of my shoulder. It is almost at 100%, though I still do not have complete range of motion. He has me do both sides so I’m getting stronger all over. The routine he gave me to do at home has helped my entire body.
The experience was comfortable. He knows also about weight lifting and he was able to give me information about keeping that safe so now I feel comfortable going back to weight lifting and I know that I won’t harm my shoulder. He helps with lots of things, not just in terms of yoga.
The session was very individualized. He has a great sense of humor so it’s comfortable and a good manner. He is supportive and his directions clear and direct. So it feels comfortable, When he corrects you, he’s just adjusting what you’re doing, just teaching you the right way so it doesn’t feel like he’s judging you at all. He takes a lot of time to make sure you know what the exercises are and he gives several choices to figure out what would work best.
I absolutely would recommend to anyone who has an issue that is interfering with the quality of their everyday life. Of course you need to make sure there isn’t anything medically going on, but just as knowing what to do to help your recovery, I would recommend doing it.
I would suggest that folks take a yoga class with him first, then you’ll have an idea of what he is like. He has a great personality, he is charismatic. His manner is very comfortable, he doesn’t judge, he just helps."--David Mastroianni